[mythtv] MythTV DVB Implementation (What's needed & What's not)

Fri Sep 12 15:47:44 EDT 2003

> For the scans I have done recently on DVB-T, the config isn't completed
> correctly for channels that aren't currently broadcasting. The channels
> are identified, but the video & audio PIDs come out as 0, and you have
> to hand-craft a config together from scans done at different times of day.

Hmm, good point, but my set top box seems to manage OK...  Wonder what it does different..?

Anyway, the point is that this can either be handled by an upgrade to scan, or else we have to draw a line somewhere, and perhaps we should just leave this to the manual tuning screen to fix?  I think an option to auto scan, and only add new stuff is important of course

> Similarly, I also get the feeling that the channel configuration, at
> least for DVB-T but probably the others too, changes fairly frequently.
> Shouldn't the system be able to cope with channels that appear,
> disappear, or change configuration? Perhaps the backend should have some
> channel-polling function running when the card isn't used for
> recording/livetv

Don't see it changing that often actually.  In the UK we had a few new channels added, but nothing you couldn't live without, and it seems that the slots are nearly full up now.  I would imagine it would change perhaps a couple of times per year maybe?

Thanks for your thoughts

Ed W