[mythtv] MythTV DVB Implementation (What's needed & What's not)

Fri Sep 12 10:32:21 EDT 2003

> I'm trying to figure out everything DVB related that is required
> to match or even superseed comercially available boxes.

Hi Kenneth,

Wow!  You have been busy.

I have been pondering this, but not to the same depth you have.  Here are some points though:

1) Do we actually have to move the setup "to the frontend"?  Actually it should be possible to run the setup program from anywhere (perhaps with a few mods), since it is only modifying the DB.  However, once we are going to be doing preview tuning and auto scanning for hardware then we certainly will need at least some limited access to the backend.  The user would still need to know to setup the mysql.txt on the backend though

2) Mythfilldatabase is a tricky one.  Seems that the process at the moment for analogue users is to setup card, inputs and location, then run mythfilldatabase which sets up the channels table (either automatically, or by prompting).  Suggest then that mythfilldatabase needs to be split into the bit which fills the channels table (for North American users only?  Cable users?) and the stuff which reads in program info.  The point is that the list of channels available via XMLTV seems to drive setup for some input types (analogue), but not necessarily for DVB.

3) What else do we get by moving setup to the frontend though? (As in mythfrontend, not just being able to run on diff PC).  Presumably each card and backend will need different setup for satellite?  Just want to be careful that the user is not confused about the mapping between channels/cards/backends/etc.  Actually, I dont have a satellite connection, and I really don't understand all the permutations at all...

4) What problems are there with the "scan" application in terms of doing fully automatic tuning?  For DVB-T at least, then it works perfectly (and when it doesn't this should be fixed by fixing the scan app).  Presumably for sat you need the dish params setup, but after that can it just scan away to find everything?

Ed W