[mythtv] Re:Channel change speed

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Sep 12 00:46:43 EDT 2003

Agreed.  Even with a DCT2000 cable box and the serial scripts, my
script[1] on its own takes ~3.5 seconds to complete a channel change.
Add the ringbuffer stuff, and now I'm in the 5-6 second range.  Before
hearing about the ringbuffer stuff, I tried to speed up my script.
Wasn't much I could do there unless I wanted to get really into some
really ugly stuff.

I wonder if it might be better to have the channel change and ringbuffer
teardown run simultaneously... Couldn't they be separate threads?  Or at
least if an external script is used, can't it be run without waiting for
it to finish, have the ringbuffer stuff take place, then check back for
the results of the script?

	-I

[1] - The script has been updated.  You can get them at
http://jeigh.com/~ian/dct2000serial.tar.gz

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com