[mythtv] How to edit the gui? (And some profile related stuff)

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Sep 9 18:36:36 EDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:51:07 -0400, "Isaac Richards ijr-at-po.cwru.edu
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <e6kbhbk35r0t at sneakemail.com> said:

> > 1) Use the existing cardtype selected in setup step 2. Additional
> > cardtypes could be added as needed otherwise no code changes here.
> >
> > 2) Add a table to map 'capturecard.cardtype' plus 'record.profile'
> > to specific 'codecparams.profile' numbers.
>
> Don't really need this, since we can do it in the source just as easily..
It seems that the easiest solution here is to create
capturecard.profilegroup and recordingprofile.group.  With those two
fields, profiles we can select profiles by name, and look up the correct
one by which one maps to the card that we're using.  (I suppose you also
need a new table containing the currently defined groups, but it is only
useful for the selection interface, and is irrelevant as far as recording
goes).  We can then add record.profile, which stores the profile name.
then in tv_rec, it is a simple (in pseudo-sql) 'SELECT
recordingprofile.id where recordingprofile.name = record.name (or
Defalut/Live-TV) and recordingprofile.group = capturecard.profilegroup'
and no other changes are needed to the recording code.
After that all changes are just GUI changes (determine how to associate
the group with the card, create new profiles whenever a group is created,
add profile-selection when selecting a recording, etc)

> > 3) Modify the top page of TV-Settings->Recording to remove
> > "(Create new profile)" and show the four predefined profile names
> > for each unique value in 'capturecard.cardtype'. For most people
> > this would show four lines but there would be eight lines if
> > you had two card types. Codecparams would need to be initialized
> > if a new cardtype appears.
>
> I think a better way would be to add a top level list with the various
> groups,
> and the ability to add a new group (and define a type (bttv, pvr), and
> optionally associate it with backends) there, and then have that drill
> down
> to a screen similar to what you describe, but with only the 4 recording
> levels for that profile shown.
So the guts of the change is trivial, and it all falls onto setting up
the gui.  I think I am competant enough to do most of the gui work (not
sure about the best way to select multiple cards for a given group...i
assume a list box would be acceptable...but it gets tricky.  For
instance, you need to prevent a user for adding a bttv and PVR250 to the
same group (as the settings will be incompatible).  I'll give it a shot
and see how it goes, but since this has basically boiled down to a
user-interface problem, I'm perfectly happy to defer to someone who knows
what they are doing in that arena, if someone else feels like giving it a
go.

It seems to me that the Default and LiveTV profiles should remain, with
two additional 'High-Quality' and 'Low-Quality' being added (ignore
transcoding for now).  But perhaps we'd prefer to have 'Ultra-High',
'High', 'Medium', and 'Low' profiles, and then associate LiveTV and
Default to one of those per card.  It is a little more flexible, but
seems a bit overly complex.

.Geoff
.Geoff