[mythtv] Suggestions f=F6r additions to MythMusic

Henrik (Mauritz) Johnson henrik at spinbox.se
Tue Sep 2 11:27:03 EDT 2003

Scott Gargash wrote:

>    Henrik> I've just made the switch from another media center style
>    Henrik> application to MythTV and I have a few things I want to
>    Henrik> sink my teeth into and was just going to check with you
>    Henrik> guys if anyone is working on it. It has mostly to do with
>    Henrik> the music section and I would like to make the following
>    Henrik> additions.
>
>A while back, I was looking to port many of the Globecom Jukebox
>features to MythMusic.  And then child number two was born.  I never
>got around to finishing the port.
>
>While I never finished it, but I did get a fair amount working.  In no
>particular order, some of the things I ran into:
>
>1. The DB schema was non-normal. I spent a lot of time massaging it
>   into a more normalized form, and doing his led me into a lot of
>   corners that I really didn't want to get it into. (Among other
>   things, I wound up touching the metadata class, moving the sorting
>   into the SQL query, batching the queries, etc.).

I know, before I found mythtv I was thinking of throwing all of it away
and start again. The GlobeCom Jukebox is an incremental work that I've
been fiddling with and stapling on new features on since 1995 so, it has
accumulated a whole lot of cruft over the years. I don't think one table
is going to cut it though in the future for what I have planned.

>2. MythMusic wanted to update the database everytime it was launched.
>   It was a major pain for iterative development.  I added a switch to
>   disable this feature.

Ok, so that's why it's so increadibly slow much of the time. Just
started looking at it and definately decided that had to go. The current
way it works is definately not designed for my 8000 song + collection. I
think it would be better to add a way to import music into the mythmusic
DB and then always work with the database.

>3. The GUI layout was all relative placement.   Adding the album cover
>   meant adding an absolute sized element.  It worked, but it felt
>   wrong.
>
>I know there were some other issues as well.  I think there was
>something about the tree view not having parent pointers that caused
>me some difficulties, but I don't remember any more. And all of my
>work was back around v0.7, so much or all of this may no longer be
>relevant.
>
>BTW, It would be very cool if you get MythMusic to work more like the
>GlobeCom Jukebox.  If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Haven't come around to that yet. To be honest I can think of a whole
bunch of things to do with song browsing before I even need the album
cover stuff. Wouldn't it be better to be able to do the following browsing:

Browse in two modes:

1.Album mode which will work pretty much as the current browsing except
you need to be able to search for an artist or album.

2.Song mode in which you need to be able to search artist, album or
song. Songs are not displayed in a tree, but in a flat list and you
should be able to select which attribute to sort from at least from the
following atributes.

    1. Artist
    2. Album
    3. Title
    4. Tracknumber
    5. How many times it's been played
    6. It's rated score
    7. When it was added

Currently I find myself listening a lot to either toplist or new songs
in my jukebox.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll let you know when I have
something to show.

/Mauritz
Underscore AB