[mythtv] More nforce questions

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Oct 30 11:24:40 EST 2003

I believe you ought to use the 'plug' device, or as a syntactic
shortcut, the 'plughw' device. Those proxy through the audio, doing
rate/format/etc conversions on the fly if necessary. As in device
"ALSA:plughw:0,1".

 From a message on the ALSA list:
"""
hw interfaces directly to the physical card.  Thus you can only use
modes supported by the hardware.  plughw will detect whether the
hardware can do what you are requesting, and automatically convert the
data to something that can be played, at the expense of CPU time.
"""

James