[mythtv] PostProcess Filter poor performance?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Wed Oct 29 13:35:43 EST 2003

Hi!

I just want to make a note about compiling the libavcodec library in
MythTV when the postprocess filter is going to make use of it.

There is serious performance problems with running the default
./configure, because it won't enable mmx2 or 3dnow optimized versions of
the filters in libpostprocess.

The solution to this is to configure libavcodec with some extra cflags
to enable this. Depending on your cpu, you would want to do either:

./configure --extra-cflags=-DHAVE_MMX2

or

./configure --extra-cflags=-DHAVE_3DNOW

On my Athlon XP 1800+ the MMX2 version seems slightly faster than 3DNOW,
and both of these makes significant performance increases compared to
the default MMX version.

Good luck.

Kenneth