[mythtv] Speech enabled MythTV

hpoley at dds.nl hpoley at dds.nl
Mon Oct 27 05:58:36 EST 2003

Citeren Cory Hamma <mythtv at wabbiter.com>:

> I have a question -- I am interested in creating a modified version of
> MythTV that enables visually impaired people to easily navigate the
> menu system of MythTV.  My future goal is to have a DVD or CD based
> distribution capable of running on specific hardware, with a talking
> installer / repair program.
>
> ..snip..
>
> Main Menu -> Watch TV -> [Station Number] [Station Name] [Show Name]
> [pause] [show description]
>
> -> (right arrow then pressed) [Show Time] [Show Name] [pause] [show
> description]
>

> Main Menu -> Watch Recorded Show -> The Simpsons ... Homer blows up the
> plant again [pause] [recording date/time/station]

I'm not really informed about MythTV (anymore..) but I think the OSD and the LCD
output code is the point to look at. It already is put in most strategic places
where you want to inform people about 'mode changes'.

Especialy the LCD stuff was meant to enable people to program MythTV without
having the TV switched on, as far as I can rememeber.

Contact the people who implemented this stuff. But also, maybe even first, make
a plan on how and where you want to use it. But anyways I think you probably
know better than me that 'displaying' tables in speech is a daunting task. On
the other hand, in this case you know what the table means, HTML tables
text-to-speech would be worse. (which brings me to point to mythweb speech-CSS :
-P)

For the distro, try KnoppMyth, but if it's put into MythTV it will probably find
it's place onto this CD anyways.

   Henk Poley <><