[mythtv] Speech enabled MythTV

Cory Hamma mythtv at wabbiter.com
Mon Oct 27 04:42:56 EST 2003

I have a question -- I am interested in creating a modified version of MythTV
that enables visually impaired people to easily navigate the menu system of
MythTV.  My future goal is to have a DVD or CD based distribution capable of
running on specific hardware, with a talking installer / repair program.

Ha!

So, given that I have used open source speech synthesis programs before, how
crazy is this task?

Before I get any replies as to "why the heck would you care about having
speech synthesis for TV watching" let me point out that visually impaired
people watch TV too, and there is NO SPEECH SUPPORT in ANY of the PVR devices
currently distributed.  Plus, visually impaired (or blind) individuals also
watch tv with their sighed friends and relatives, so it is important to have
something that is going to have a visually appealing menu system (such as MythTV).

The speech would need to cover the basic menu functions, such as reading the
currently selected option.  Example:

Main Menu -> Watch TV -> [Station Number] [Station Name] [Show Name] [pause]
[show description]

-> (right arrow then pressed) [Show Time] [Show Name] [pause] [show description]

Main Menu -> Watch Recorded Show -> The Simpsons ... Homer blows up the plant
again [pause] [recording date/time/station]

I think there might be some developers out there that might be interested in
helping too.

TIA for the input,
Cory Hamma