[mythtv] Splicing part of one recording into another

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Oct 7 10:46:27 EDT 2003

Greetings,
I've been using MythTV now for a few weeks and I am now attempting to
export some stuff to VCD or SVCD to entertain my children with.  Been
having all sorts of dramas figuring that out... but that's another story.

I've come across a problem with a few of the recording I wish to
export.  This occurs when there are 2 shows to be recorded that follow
each other on the same channel (only one tuner card).  Obviously what
happens in this scenario is that the end of the first show ends up being
recorded at the start of the second show [1].

First if all, can anyone suggest a linux tool I could use to do this
splicing manually after exporting to mpeg?  The only programs I can find
that do this type of editing seem to work only with DV streams.

Secondly, is there some way this could be integrated into MythTV.  I am
envisioning something along the lines of an addition to the code for
marking cut points prior to transcoding, maybe even another option when
setting a cutpoint such as "Move before this cutpoint to next recording"
(or "Move after...").

The only other alternative that comes to mind would be to split the
recording stream at the time of recording.  In this case, if there are 2
recordings where the recording intervals (including the time to record
before and after the scheduled time) overlap and where the programs are
on the same channel then I would imagine it *may* be possible to record
the overlap section into both files.  Please note, my C/C++ skills are
minimal (enough to maybe follow some code and make minor changes) so
what I'm suggesting may not be possible at all.

Cheers,

Michael

[1] well, the opposite is also possible... but not very probable, who
ever heard of a TV station running on time?[2]

[2] And don't get me started on the complete disregard of the schedule
shown by channel 9 in .au for late night tv!