[mythtv] mythbackend with inetd?

David Muench dave at wasteland.org
Mon Oct 6 07:37:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 06:00, Ed Lea wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 05:39:24AM -0400, David Muench wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 05:22, Ed Lea wrote:
> > > Is it possible to run mythbackend with inetd? I find it crashes quite a
> > > lot which is a pain when I'm away from a computer and my flatmates want
> > > to record or watch something. inetd seemed to be the most sensible
> > > solution but I can't seem to get it to work - has anyone got it working?
> >
> > If you're up to it, daemontools will do what you want a lot better.
> >
> > http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
> >

> I really don't like the look of thaT

Shrug. I think inetd is inappropriate for mythbackend. Daemontools will
do exactly what you want. I used to run mythbackend in daemontools and
it ran great. I don't in my new setup as it's been stable so I didn't
bother. The other sensible solution would be to write some monitoring
scripts that run from cron, check if mythbackend is running, and restart
if not.

Dave