[mythtv] DVB, (new) recording profiles, and transcoding

Fri Oct 3 18:01:16 EDT 2003

> > For the UK at least over DVB-T (ie free to air).  The mpeg is usually in
> > 720x576 with an embedded aspect ratio of 16:9 (implies that maintaining
> > embedded aspect ratio is important)
> I don't really understand the aspect ratio stuff (since your capture
> resolution is still effectively 4:3), so I have no idea what is required
> to keep it.

Aha, I see what you mean.

The program is broadcast in anamorphic format.  Ie the stream is 720x576, but you need to stretch this to 16:9 aspect in order for it to look OK.  This means you get big black bars on a 4:3 display.

Confusingly though, BBC has introduced a new marker of some sort which is a hint to set top boxes to zoom in when the output device is 4:3, this isn't yet supported by most player's (mplayer might have support now..?), and it's kind of similar to the (usually unsupported) pan and scan idea for DVD's, ie the broadcaster can give your set top box info about the best 4:3 crop of the widescreen program.

Clear as mud...?

I can supply a sample mpeg file if it would be of use?

Thanks Geoff

Ed W