[mythtv] Bringing it all together...

Trey Ethridge tale at juno.com
Thu Oct 2 03:59:38 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I've been thinking to myself lately about mythtv and I wanted to see what other developers thought.  I mostly love everything about mythtv.  However, there is one thing that worries me.  The biggest problem I see is lack of integration.  I'm worried that this will limit the quality of mythtv in the future.  You see, I feel that it's a huge problem that each module doesn't really know about the other modules.

For example, mythmusic maps the volume keys differently than mythvideo and when I leave a module, it quits whatever it's doing, whether that's playing a song or video.  Wouldn't it be cool if I could select some music and then switch over to mythgallery to show some pictures while my music continues to play.  I'm sure quite a few of you know that you can do this with other products.  The same thing could go for having a picture in picture type of effect with mythweather taking up most of the screen and having the tv in the smaller PIP box so you wouldn't miss any of your show while you checked your weather.

Of course I understand that this is because we are using (reusing?) existing products to quickly have a working product.  However, I wonder if our approach will ever reach the tight integration of something like M$ Media Center PC or Tivo's HMO.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to knock mythtv, I like it a lot.  I'm just curious if these issues are going to limit some of the things that I hope to be able to do in the future.  Any thoughts?  No flames please, I'm serious.  :-)

-- tale