[mythtv] re: mythtv with dvb is unusable!

Tue Nov 25 11:59:36 EST 2003

> This is not the solution of the problem, only a little workaround. In my
> commercial decoder i have different encrypted channel, i come informed when i
> zap into it. This because i have different smart card from varius provider
> (this is only an example, i'm a particular user ;))

Your point is a good one.

I think (for example) that it also occurs when you try and tune to a radio channel, ie where audio pids are set, but no video.  The frontend hangs due to no video (I only tried this once and gave up, so please don't jump on me if it does work in this case...)

If you wanted to investigate a programming solution, then I guess looking at the code which reads from the socket.  I guess we either need a non-blocking read and a select call, or else an alarm which can spot that we have hung for more than a certain amount of time.

On the backend I suspect it's more complicated because the DVB card is presumably supplying data ok, the problem is presumably that the thread which decodes is not supplying anything.  I think you would need to look carefully at the CAM code in the backend to workout what to do there...

Other crazy workarounds would be to buy an extra card and CAM module and tell myth that the other channel is on that card...  Rather a waste, but hey..

Good luck

Ed W