[mythtv] Auto-Off Feature

j sharpe allblackwonder1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 12:39:25 EST 2003

>> The basic logic that I have come up with as follows: The PC will now
>> startup a few minutes before the next program is due to be recorded.
>> Once the show has finished
>> recording, it will calculate the next wakeup time, set the CMOS alarm
>> and switch the PC off.

>Nice idea.  However, how do you get at the machine to schedule
>recordings, etc?

I call to ScheduledRecording::findAllProgramsToRecord to get a list of busy slots. I have added an additional slot at 4:00am each day to download the latest tv listings (via dial-up) .

>I usually do that via mythweb, at pretty random
>times
>of day.  That would mean that I'd have to walk out to my living room,
>turn on the myth box, walk back to my office and run mythweb,
>remembering to shut the myth box down when I was done.  Not to mention
>the trouble I'd have if I was on vacation and forgot to set something
>up
>to record.  (ie. not a solution for me, but I run a small cluster in my
>basement that's always on, and my myth box is an uber-quiet pundit)

Yes, I agree that this option has some trade-offs, therefore it is not for everyone. However, I get the impression that there are quite a few people runing both front and backends on a single box, presumeably somewhere close to their tv (so that you can use the remote).