[mythtv] PVR 250 & Linux vs Windows PVRs

Ramon Roca Ramon.Roca at xcombo.com
Fri Nov 14 18:09:39 EST 2003

Well, maybe it's politics...
If they are allowed to, the boradcasters have a clear commercial
interest in providing their own devices to their ppv subscribers, since
then they know what they can wath, and very likely also block
competitors: who will be interested in have a separate box at home for
each provider?
Makes sense to provide a box to subscribers to make things easier, but
not creating propietary formats.
What I can't understand is that having regulator authorities for almost
every type of transmission types, why those tactics are allowed?
It's not just a matter of providing order or standards in this case,
it's much more that that, it's about avoiding monopolistic practices
from multimedia giants and and protecting freedom of choice while
accessing multimedia contents.
Given the impact and power that the media has today over the people...