[mythtv] FFmpeg CVS

Jason Hoos jhoos at thwack.net
Tue Nov 11 13:16:35 EST 2003

As I mentioned in another thread last week, I'm working on getting AC3
passthrough to SPDIF working for HDTV (and presumably DVB) streams.
So far, it looks like the best way to do this is to either modify the
AC3 codec in libavcodec, or to add a new codec (currently I'm leaning
towards modifying the existing codec and adding a run-time option to
enable/disable passthrough, as soon as I make sense of the AVOption
structure and associated stuff).

Anyhow, my question is this - how often is the libavcodec stuff in Myth
synchronized with the ffmpeg CVS stuff?  And how hard is it to do if I
were to want to try it locally?  I ask because I figure if I'm going to be
modifying it, it'd probably be nice to submit it back to the ffmpeg people,
in which case it'd probably be good to be working on up-to-date code.
If it's just a matter of dropping the new code in Myth and running with
it, I'll give it a whirl, otherwise I'll just work with what's in Myth
currently and try getting a patch submitted to ffmpeg after the fact...

- Jason

P.S. for those who are interested, I do have AC3 passthrough working to
some degree, although I have a pervasive issue with audio dropouts (AC3
and stereo) that I want to try to work out first.  I saw that someone else
was also having similar issues with an NForce audio chipset (which is what
I have), so I may just try a different sound card and see if that helps...