[mythtv] conflict resolution

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 3 11:18:45 EST 2003

"Edward Wildgoose" <Edward.Wildgoose at FRMHedge.com> writes:

> I think that the fuzzy, give or take 1 hour strategy will work
> better, or perhaps even just skip the whole time thing and the match
> becomes "on this channel, on this day"?  Would make it difficult to
> record the "News" though... (or something else very generic)

just so long as it is configurable...  For example, I record the BBC
World News every morning at 8am.  However there are three broadcasts
every day, at 6, 7, and 8.  I don't want the 6 or 7 am broadcast, I
only want the 8am.  Oh, but I also want to record the 6pm broadcast...

Fuzzy matching probably wouldn't work in this case.

> It would be nice to get something which works quite nicely for most
> people though, *rather* than introduce yet more "record types".

Well, I just set up Channel record and leave it be.  Except for
certain cable channels (where I just set up a weekly record and pay
attention to the schedules) this seems to work pretty well for me.
The only time I really care about start times are:

1) When I want to record a program once (single-record).  In this case it's
   extremely unlikely that the program will have moved.
2) When there are multiple instances of a program and I want to specifically
   pick the instance I want (timeslot recording).  Note that in this case
   I would want a fuzzy match, but +/- an hour is way too much for my use case.

> Anyone else got a better idea than the fuzzy match to the nearest hour?

Unfortunately I don't.

-derek