[mythtv] ALSA and PVR-350

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Nov 1 20:11:48 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 07:31, Desmond Rivet wrote:
> I don't have ALSA, I only have OSS.

My advice - get ALSA working.  I think more people are using it on this
list, and it works *well* emulating OSS.

> My receiver only has optical digital inputs left. I assume I can buy a cable
> that will plug into an optical input on my receiver on one end and plug into
> the digital out of the SB5.1 on the other end? I don't remember seeing these
> at Radio Shack :)

Never seen one of these, but it wouldn't surprise me if some type of
converter box exists... I think I saw something on the web the other day
about a box that converts between the two and also upscales
Composite/Svideo to Component... didn't look cheap.

> Before I go out and buy some cables, do I have to do anything special
> through MythTV to get digital passthrough working on the SBLive5.1? I know I
> can choose the sound device through the GUI - is there a seperate digital
> device? Or is it just a simple matter of plugging the cable into the jack?
> Does the sound output simply go to both the analog and digital outputs at
> the same time?

If you're using ALSA, you don't need to do anything in MythTV at all.
Just use the attached asound.state file (I've gzipped it.) and add a
post-install restore line into /etc/modules.conf.

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com