[mythtv] ALSA and PVR-350

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Sat Nov 1 20:04:39 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 23:56, Desmond Rivet wrote:
> > > I'm using MythTV with a PVR-350 and a SBLive5.1. I want to try and get
> >TVout
> > > working on my PVR-350, and digitial out (passthrough) working on the SB,
> >so
> > > that my receiver can automatically switch between the digital SB sound
> >and
> > > the analog PVR-350 sound.
> > >
> > > I don't have ALSA, I only have OSS.
> >
> >Well, get it then. Or is there some problem with that? ALSA should
> >support the SBLive.
>
> Thanks for the response. But what would be the advantage of setting up ALSA
> if I have a PVR-350? The recording doesn't go through the sound card and OSS
> already supports the SBLive5.1, right?

I don't know exactly, since I haven't used OSS since (hmm) also 0.5 or
so. What I hear is that OSS and the SBLive's Digital don't play nicely
together. YMMV

On the other hand I know that alsa can duplicate stereo to the spdif, so
you can listen to mp3 as well, not only ac3 passthrough from DVD.

If you learn if there is such a electrical -> optical transceiver, let
me know.

Torsten