[mythtv] Enabling mythtranscoder

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sat May 31 11:03:56 EDT 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003 10:41:59 -0400, "Craig Longman craigl-at-begeek.com
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <sa9nhe32c40t at sneakemail.com> said:
> the main crashes i saw were related to the program info (as you
> mention), which is now fixed, and some objects not being initialized in
> nupplevideorecorder (the commercial detection and the rtjpeg comperssor
> i think was the other one).  the first one is fixed, the second i still
> have to fix and/or ask what issac et. all wants to do about it.

Okay, that is fine.  I'd like to change the transcoder to deal with times
in ISODate format so it is consistant with the rest of myth and we can
get rid of GetProgramInfoFromRecorded, which (As far as I can tell) is
only used by the transcoder as of now, and replace it with
GetPreogramInfoAtDateTime.  Anyhow, I'll just let you do your thing, but
the main reason I can see why manual-recording

> >The 'raw' stuff is handled
> >differently because there is no reason to degrade audio quality if we are
> >transcoding from mp3->mp3 by decoding and encoding it again.
> >
> yes, i understand that.  but its a completely different code path, so
> getting the audio/video syncing fixed in that is more tough.  it would
> be simplier/more maintainable if the data was simply retrieved as raw or
> decoded first, then procesed through the same path.  i might try and do
> that, but i'm not sure i have access to the necessary info, which is
> maybe why its done the way it is.
You should always have access to the fully decoded data.  That is to say
if getrawframe is set in the decoder, it will store the raw packets (i.e.
still compressed) for audio and subtitles, but it also fully decodes it
(I assume this is pretty obvious from the code, so perhaps I'm missing
what you are looking for).  You can always get rid of the raw path, I
just thought it would be nice not to have to degrade the audio further if
it isn't needed.  Maybe there are some tricks that can be played with
lame to only reencode audio frames which have to be modified (due to the
cutlist)

Anyhow, I'll leave you to it.

Thanks,
.Geoff