[mythtv] conflict resolution vs priorities

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu May 29 13:44:39 EDT 2003

Mark Chou wrote:
> Can you be more specific about what you find onereous about the current
> conflict resolution process?  From your post it isn't clear what you're
> talking about.

He's describing "Season Pass Manager". If you ever get a
chance to use a TiVo, you'll see that allowing the user to
declare their order of preference for their recording choices
is a far superior approach. Using algorithms to guess your
preference then allowing you to correct mistakes does work.
However, with a priority based system, you can add a lot of
furthehelluvit titles and know that your your top choices
will not be preempted. With the current myth scheduler, if
you make a lot of choices, you need to constantly herd kittens.

> And no, you don't "have to do it youself" (i.e. code), but at least come
> up with a strawman/proposal conflict resolution scenario that
> subscribers to this list can at least understand. How many tuners were
> you talking about in your post?

You may have missed a thread two or three days ago. A well
debugged patch would get the job done. I, for one, understood
his post perfectly.

--  bjm