[mythtv] conflict resolution vs priorities

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu May 29 21:51:32 EDT 2003

Jeff Nuckles wrote:

>the most important (highest priority) recording should be
>recorded on the highest priorty card that has that
>channel. period.

While I think that priority *may* be a good addition, I don't agree at
all to that "period". I see the following problems:

    * Today, there are Anaconda and Johnny Mnemonic running at the same
      time. I had a hard time to choose, took me maybe a minute, and I
      am still not sure about my choice. If I had to assign a priority
      when I select a recording,
          o I have to make such a choice (which takes time) not just for
            those where there is actually a problem, but for every
            single recording
          o I have to make the choice not between 2 concrete choices,
            but against some abstract value system I made up in my mind
            some time ago and which I have to stick to consistently and
            in a fine-grained way: if I had 0-10 to rate, both Anaconda
            and Johnny Mnemonic would probably have been rated the same
            - good luck savely giving one of them 61 and the other one
            60, without knowing that you have to choose between them
    * If I have the choice between Star Trek and the average action
      movie, I choose ST, but if I have 2 cards with different quality,
      and I can record both, I'd want the action movie to be recorded
      with the better card, so the priority can't really say anything
      about the choice of cards.

Considering this, I think the priority approach without supervision
would be worse than the solution today - more time consuming and more
failure prone.