[mythtv] REQ: power saving

Marc Kessels kessels at rijnh.nl
Thu May 22 13:23:28 EDT 2003

I am already a very happy user of mythtv. To avoid missing a recording, I
keep my pc on all the time.
But  I do have some concerns about the power consumption of my pc.
considering a price of EUR 0.17 per kWh, and a consumption of 100 W, I get
2.4 kWh per day, so 876 kWh per year, or EUR 148 (approx $ 173) per year. I
find this a bit to expensive...
So I was wondering if it is possible to program the alarm clock in the bios
from mythtv to wake up the pc a couple of minutes before a recording should
take place. So the pc will power on as needed, and after the recording
takes place (and no recording will take place in let say 10 minutes) mythtv
will program the bios again and halt the system. To avoid halting the
system when using the PC, mythtv should look if a user logged in and if so,
only program the bios (and possibly also prevent the user from halting the
system when a recording is due in a couple of minutes or in progress).

please give me your opinion about this feature request.

Marc Kessels