Configurable keybindings (was: RE: [mythtv] remote key binding problem)

Gerald Britton gbritton at doomcom.org
Fri May 2 12:25:43 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 04:46:08PM +0200, Erik Arendse wrote:
> biggest problem was that keys are processed in two ways (QT and X-events),
> I rewrote the main output inside a QT widget to fix this. Solved the
> eternal keyboard-focus problem as well.
> A third way was the QT slot-mechanism in the EPG.

It would be nice if there were a setup to add various input devices and
have some sort of internal event dispatcher for them rather than just
having everything be an X keyboard.  Then various things would have
functions which these events could be connected to.  This might then allow
for such things as jog dials to be used for seeking around in playback and
other similar UI devices.  It would also then allow easier interaction
with things like the ati_remote interface.  An input plugin could open the
/dev/input/event# device corresponding to the ati remote and act on events
recieved from it leaving the X keyboard untouched.  I'm thinking sorta
along the lines of what mutt does with binding keys to functions.  Sorry
for rambling, this is a feature I think could use some real discussion
about how the infrastructure of it should work before it's done.

				-- Gerald