[mythtv] Gnome2/Mythbackend warning

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Thu May 1 08:54:03 EDT 2003

Just a quick warning for everybody. If you're like me, you had
configured mythbackend to start when you log in to the machine, rather
than at system startup (another reason to use the init scripts which
I've seen people working on).

Putting it in as a session startup program under gnome was a very bad
idea for me, especially since I didn't redirect the output to /dev/null.
It sent all the output to stdout/stderr, which gnome thoughtfully
redirected to $HOME/.gnome-errors. And I've never checked the size of
this file.

So, today, my home directory has a 14G file which is taking several
minutes to delete on an ext3 filesystem.

Moral of the story: If you set up mythbackend to run as a daemon, make
certain you redirect the output to some safe place (or check / clean the
log file regularly). I didn't, and it wound up filling /home twice in
the last 24 hours.
--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net