[mythtv] Front ends for other machines

mark at zzo.com mark at zzo.com
Thu Mar 27 11:24:52 EST 2003

So I'd just like to watch pre-recorded shows (LiveTV would be
nice too of course) on my FreeBSD box.
After blowing NuppelVideoRecorder & RTjpeg out of the build
& making some other changes I was actually able to get the myth
frontend up & connecting to my myth backend box.
It can play recorded shows - & pretty much do everything except
watch LiveTV.
The only hitch is that it's slow - the video & audio hiccup about
every 3-5 secodns for a second or so.
It's a 1.6Ghz Athlon (not XP) - & the CPU runs at about 80% & it's
got MMX support, Xv, and shared memory support.
I just tried Thor's 'skip' patch but that didn't help.  It's a 100Mbps
switched ethernet connection so I don't think that's it.
The files are mpeg4 encoded at 480x480 at 4400 target bitrate.
Too much maybe for my CPU?  64MB RAM.
Any thoughts?

PS I think there needs to be a MUCH cleaner separation between the
frontend & backends - maybe like 2 totally separte packages with a
'common' package.  When just trying to make a front end there's way
too many dependencies on stuff just for backends...

Mark Ethan Trostler	mark at zzo.com
Computing Solutions	http://www.zzo.com