[mythtv] Adding advanced option to encoder parameters

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Mar 24 09:59:42 EST 2003

I'd like to add advanced option to the encoder parameters for libavcodec.
 Specifically, I have found that using mencoder/ffmpeg, I can get much
better quality by adding the 'vhq', '4mv', and/or 'qpel' options, and my
cpu is fast enough to do this (at least at the resolution I care about)
In fact, a picture encoded withv hq,4mv at 400x304 @800kbps loos better
full screen than an mythtv at 640x480 at 2200kbps (that is ~ equivalent
bits/pixel compression).

It looks like these can be added in NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp, but I'm not
surwe what the best way to set the options in mysql is (I don't see a
table which holds encoder options.  I guess 'recordingprofiles' would be
the best place, but I don't know the prefered way of adding options (is
it bect to add an 'options' field, and then parse that, or is something
else better?

Secondly, It's be nice to support a pre-scaler like what mencoder uses.
I find that I get better images sampling at 720x480 and rescaling to my
capture size when using mencoder, and would like to add something similar
to mythtv.  an option like this would most likely belong in 'settings'
and I can add it there, though I still need to find a good scaling
algorithm.

I guess first I should ask:  Is this something that would be accepted
once I do it, or is there some reason against it?

Thanks,
.Geoff
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer