[mythtv] alternate EPG not redrawing

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Mar 21 16:11:29 EST 2003

Cliff Draper wrote
> From: "Kevin Bowen" <kevin at ucsd.edu>
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:22:36 -0800
> > Hmmm, I'm using a radeon 7500, so it doesn't sound like a driver
> >  issue to me
>
> Agreed.  It's probably not the video driver.

I see it too.  I haven't had a chance to verify this subjective
observation, but I think it happens more often when the system
is busier.

I did just test on my local frontend and I can't repeat the problem.
On the remote frontend (my desktop machine with no tuner), I see the
problem somewhat often, maybe 10% of the keyhits only update the top
part of the display, but not the grid.

If I'm watching LiveTV and go to the EPG, instead of going to the EPG
from the main menu, I see it more frequently (which I why I think it
happens more often when the machine is busier).

Ok, I decided to look at it some more, and here's something interesting:
After I had cycled through all the channels with up/down, I did NOT
see the problem again.  I COULD not reproduce the behaviour after I'd
been thru all the channels (I just held down the DOWN arrow until I saw
the grid make it all the way thru the list a couple times).

So...  without looking at code for the EPG, I have no idea, but my gut
says it might have something to do with allocating space to hold data
for each channel.  If I restart the frontend, I can then repeat the
behaviour of the grid not updating, but not until (I even scrolled a
couple days into the future to see if it might be a generic caching
issue, but it still didn't occur after it got into the "ok" state).

> >  (well, of course, both drivers could be flawed in the
> >  same way). Cliff, Michael, (or anyone else who is also seeing this
> >  problem), what video card are you using?
>
> GeForce4 MX 440 in Debian 3.0 (XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1) with nvidia
> drivers version 1.0.4191.

Mine is a GeForce4 Ti4600, Debian, 2.4.19 kernel, XFree v 4.2.1,
and nvidia driver 3123 (from debian packages).

> > And does anyone know if
> >  this problem is new, or has it existed for as long as the alternate
> >  EPG has? I only fairly recently upgraded from .7, so I haven't been
> >  with the alt EPG since its inception.
>
> Don't know.  I just upgraded from .7 last night.  I didn't see any
> problems like that in .7.

I only got 0.7 running long enough to know things "worked" before
I started using the CVS version with 0.8 on March 7th.  I think I
saw this with the EPG from my first day of using it, and at that
time, I was running the frontend and backend on a single machine.

-Chris