[mythtv] Capture Card Resolution -- was: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Capture card questions

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Mar 19 14:46:31 EST 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> They may be able to capture higher, but as of myth 0.8, myth
> can't capture 720x576 for PAL full resolution.  (Or in fact
> 780x576 as stated in some docs?)
>
> It seems that the "height" box (in setup screen) is limited
 > to a max of 480 only.  I assume that if I dig into the DB and
> change the setting manually, myth will record at the higher
> resolution ok? (obviously subject to CPU..)

Bummer. I'm surprised none of the PAL users mentioned this
before 0.8.

Matt is right. The code exists and this used to work. However,
the check to see if you use PAL or NTSC got lost in the shuffle.
I don't have PAL either but I changed my settings and verified
that it now allows 768x576 for PAL and a max of 720x480 for NTSC.

If you, or anyone with PAL could volunteer to help, please update
to the current CVS and test recording at 768x576 (or 768x288 to
save CPU cycles). In looking at the bt878 specs (as opposed to
vague recollections ;-), the chip should allow PAL widths up
to 768. However, there is at least one reference to 720x576 in
libavcodec so I'm not sure recording will work at this width
even if it is supported by the chip.

Please report the maximum width that does work so that we
don't suggest a width on the setup page that would fail.
If no one responds, I'll set it back to 720.

Thank you,

--  bjm