[mythtv] alternate inputs broken?

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Mon Mar 17 08:04:56 EST 2003

Andy Davidoff wrote
> Chris Palmer /* Mar 16, 14:29 */
> > ok... but they're not "channels"...  how is this structured now?
> > I am not understanding how I would setup channels for a non-tuner
> > video source.
>
> What are you trying to do?
>
> If you just want to pause output from a camcorder, you'll have to
> create a channel manually in the database and bind it to a video
> source.  This'll probably become easier with the next release.

yeah, I want to tinker with a cam or maybe input from my external
DVD player.  I like the nice compact digitizing that MythTV does
and it would be handy to record from those sources.  Maybe I should
look into another program to do that since MythTV is more TV-oriented.

Of course, manual record options would be all that is needed.  It could
be handy to have some recording control options like: start record, pause,
continue record (unpause), recording timer with option to adjust the timer
duration on-the-fly.  These could be handy for the standard MythTV recording
features in the event that program guide data is incomplete or inaccurate,
or maybe the sporting event that is being recorded runs overtime.

I'd even envisioned some kind of security cam ideas, where the system
can grab a frame every now and then, but wouldn't try to grab one during
a recording (giving tv shows a higher priority).

-Chris