[mythtv] cardid's and remote backends

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 14 13:44:40 EST 2003

Matthew Brichacek wrote:
> Hello again,
>     I have started to notice another problem that showed up last night:
>
> When I set the slave backends tv card to cardid 1, and turn on a remote
> frontend, it hangs and gives me a timeout error.  The reason I set that
> card to 1 is because that it usually the first machine on (the slave
> backend) and it performs better that way.
> Along the same lines, if I set the master backend to record, and it
> grabs cardid 1, it will record for a few seconds and then thats the end
> of it.  I erased the shows I had that did this, but I will try to
> reproduce it tonight.

WORKSFORME. I've done this before, didn't expect problems and
didn't see any. My first thought is that maybe your IP setting
aren't quite right which might explain the timeouts.

mysql> select * from settings where value like '%ServerIP';
+-----------------+--------------+----------+
| value           | data         | hostname |
+-----------------+--------------+----------+
| BackendServerIP | 192.168.0.33 | moktoo   |
| MasterServerIP  | 192.168.0.33 | NULL     |
| BackendServerIP | 192.168.0.34 | nordvid  |
| BackendServerIP | 192.168.0.35 | nordtv   |
+-----------------+--------------+----------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The cardid's are independent of master/slave. Normally the
master backend is the first one to setup so it's cards are
usually first. However, if I change these and restart the
backends for good measure, the order of next available card
changes:

mysql> update capturecard set hostname = 'moktoo' where cardid = '2';
mysql> update capturecard set hostname = 'nordvid' where cardid = '1';
mysql> select cardid,videodevice,hostname from capturecard;
+--------+-------------+----------+
| cardid | videodevice | hostname |
+--------+-------------+----------+
|      1 | /dev/video  | nordvid  |
|      2 | /dev/video  | moktoo   |
|      3 | /dev/video1 | nordvid  |
|      4 | /dev/video  | nordtv   |
+--------+-------------+----------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This only works if the devices, inputname, and videosource
match. Otherwise those would need to be switched as well.

> So is there a way to bind a specific frontend to specific cardid's?

Only the backends know or care about the cardid. The frontend
asks for a recording and the master tell it which backend will
serve the file. For LiveTV, the master looks up the next available
card then tells the frontend which backend to connect to for the
ringbuffer.

--  bjm