[mythtv] database schema

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Mar 14 03:11:28 EST 2003

Hey guys...

I was wondering if there was a reason that the
TIMESTAMP field type was used instead of the
DATETIME field type for all the time/date fields.

Some things could probably be simplified if all
of those fields were of type DATETIME instead of
TIMESTAMP.

Basically, updates to records, like in the recorded
table, would not explicitly need the starttime
specified as an update value when updating other
fields in those records.

You would really only want to use a TIMESTAMP data
type in a field if you wanted it to automatically
update to "now" whenever the record was modified.

Since it didn't look like any of the fields where
the TIMESTAMP datatype is being used are for
tracking record changes, I went ahead and made the
change in my own schema and things seem to be ok.

This change will make it easier to make manual
edits to tables whenever things needed fixing
during testing.

I can point you to the relevant mysql documentation
if you need more info on this.

-Chris