[mythtv] Italian special character

Leandro Dardini ldardini at tiscali.it
Wed Mar 12 19:36:00 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr at po.cwru.edu>
To: "Development of mythtv" <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Italian special character

> On Wednesday 12 March 2003 11:13 am, Leandro Dardini wrote:
> > I read carefully a previous post about "swedish character" doesn't
> > appearing correctly on mythtv epg.
> > Reading the thread, it seem to be a problem resolved, but it wasn't...
or
> > it wasn't for italian language.
> >
> > As swedish people, we have an half dozen of special characters (I try to
> > send you, here) à ò è é ì ù.
> >
> > If I try to use in mythconverg.program I get a square character instead
or
> > a question mark. I get it also either in EPG  and pressing i during
> > watching live tv.
> >

> Sounds like your guide data grabber is not operating in utf-8 like it's
> supposed to be.

You are right, I insert some #include <locale.h> and changed %s in %ls.
Using LANG=it_IT.UTF-8 I get an error from setlocale function:

#include <stdio.h>
  #include <locale.h>

  int main()
  {
    if (!setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "")) {
      fprintf(stderr, "Can't set the specified locale! "
              "Check LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL.\n");
      return 1;
    }
    printf("%ls\n", L"àèìòù");
    return 0;
  }

Can't set the specified locale! Check LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL.

# locale
LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Maybe is there something deb package to load to use utf8?

Leandro

PS
I know this is not mythtv related... sorry