[mythtv] Separating CAPTUR and Capture in OSS

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 19:45:30 EST 2003

>  For RedHat, I find
> that alsa just gets in the way (it handles the OSS mixer load/save
> already
> after an install) for performance that is either negligible or
> non-existent
> for 98% of cases needed.
I included alsa installation instructions for Red Hat because some
people's (like mine) sound cards don't work with the included oss
drivers. They do work with alsa.

> That and it's just cleaner not
> to have 10+ modules that you have to hand load in most cases (modprobe
> snd-emu10k1 doesn't load the oss-pcm or oss-mixer modules), not to
> mention
> that you have to handle the case of automatically muted Master and PCM
> channels in the mixer everytime you load the drivers.

If you follow the documentation at www.mythtv.org/docs/ you won't have
to hand load anything, and your mute problem will not be an issue. In
other words alsa works perfectly and transparently once installed.

>  I'm not saying it's not a good project, I'm just
> saying that MythTv (and it's developers) shouldn't force alsa on the
> user if
> the oss driver performs the same or better (as it does in the case of
> emu10k1).
I have yet to hear a developer "force" alsa on anyone. In fact the
documentation has Red Hat specific instructions for how to use OSS
rather than alsa. . However, I will consider changing that section to
encourage users to give oss a try, then go to alsa if that doesn't work
out.