[mythtv] Myth .nuv MPEG4 format portability [Possible Breakthrough]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Mar 4 14:29:41 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:43:49AM -0600, Rob Snow wrote:

> I was actually trying to create a small .avi file for distribution to
> others who follow the lists to get a survey of who could/couldn't play the
> file to see if I could find any commonality.  Since it was just a go/no-go
> test, I was trying to make it really small.  (video bitrate of 100 passed
> to lavc) and noticed that the audio was as large or larger than the video
> track...simple fix, I downsampled it by removing the -oac copy option and
> replacing it with a -oac mp3lame.  When I encoded this it triggered a
> different set of "Skipping frame" messages that I had seen before.  This
> turned on some type of light in my head so I tried to play it under
> Windows...shazzam, it worked...something is definately different.

As I have said here many times, it does not work correctly to resample the
video and not the audio (or vice versa).  If you re-encode one, you must
re-encode the other.

Of course, copying both should work fine (and does for some folks here).  I
suspect it's a software/configuration problem on the Windows side that
prevents it from working.

--
 - mdz