[mythtv] mythmusic/audio questions with Shuttle XPC

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Sat Mar 1 16:33:32 EST 2003

Hi all,

This weekend I've been installing MythTV from scratch on my new Shuttle
SS40G XPC.  Week of experimenting with Myth on my main Linux box had me
very prepared, but I seem to have hit a few snags with sound.  I'm
guessing buying a soundcard instead of relying on the on-board sound
will probably solve the issues, but I just wanted to check first ;).
I'd rather not have to buy a new card if I don't have to, of course, as
PCI slots are a precious commodity in the Shuttle.

1) In MythMusic when playing the GUI freezes for periods of up to 45
seconds.  The music will play flawlessly, but no GUI updates are drawn
nor keyboard input taken for periods of 30-45 seconds.  I had this
problem with MythMusic on my main Linux box, but I thought it went away
when I installed the Alsa drivers.  Not such luck on my new box.  Same
result.  Alsa drivers seem to be installed fine, and running aplay with
a .WAV file does result in sound output.

2) Sound playback is odd when watching TV.  There is an echo.  It seems
as though Myth is getting the sound off the sound card input fine, then
playing it back okay.  But the sound also seems to pass right through to
the output no matter how I set the mixer settings.  I'm thinking this is
just some weird hardware quirk with the Shuttle motherboard.  Yes, I
read the HOW-TO, and yes I set Line1 to Mute and Record.  I think it's a
hardware thing.

Any tips from anyone with RedHat 8.0 on a Shuttle XPC would be brilliant!

BTW, the onboard video seems to be just fine.  It's a Savage chip that
uses a default XFree86 sis driver that seems to have XV supprt.  Also,
the TV-out "just works".  It's great.

Thanks,
-Mike

Michael J. Sherman | msherman at stealthboy.dyndns.org
"Political correctness is just tyranny with manners." -Charlton Heston