[mythtv] XFree86 4.3.0 font weirdness.

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Sat Mar 1 03:12:04 EST 2003

Hi,

I just installed XFree86 4.3.0 on my MythTV box.  I've noticed that the
text is missing from everything... buttons, menus, etc are all missing
the text. :)

Does this have anything to do with the freefont changed that occured in
4.3.0?

I'm running on Slackware 8.1 with XFree86 4.3.0.  Things worked fine in
4.2.1.

I'm using FreeType2 version 2.1.3.

I've tried rebuilding MythTV but that didn't seem to work.  Has anyone
else seen similar problems?

Here is a blurb from the XFree86 4.3.0 release notes:

FreeType2 updated to version 2.1.1.
The "freetype" X server font backend has undergone a partial rewrite.
The new version is based on FreeType 2, and handles TrueType (including
OpenType/TTF), OpenType/CFF and Type 1 fonts.  The old "type1" backend
is now deprecated, and is only used for CIDFonts by default.
A new utility called "mkfontscale", which builds fonts.scale files, has
been added.
The Xft library has undergone a major restructuring, and is now split
into fontconfig (which deals with font discovery and configuration and
is independent from X), and Xft itself (which uses fontconfig and deals
with font rasterisation and rendering. The format of the Xft font
configuration files has changed in an incompatible manner.
Support has been added to the Xft library to do rendering with the core
X11 protocol.  This allows clients using this library to render to X
servers that don't have support for the RENDER extension.

Thanks,

- Terry