[mythtv] Storage array for Myth

Guy Bayes guy_jobs at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 13:57:04 EDT 2003

If you have some money to blow and want some storage
for your Myth system, or LAN in general, I really like
these, bought one six months or so ago and it's been
lovely.

http://www.raidking.com/entry.htm

They support hardware Raid 3 (dedicated parity disk)
which is optimized for video streaming and large file
movements, they use commodity IDE drives, and a
standard power supply, and are completely transparent
to the OS (looks like one big 600 gig disk).

The drives are hot swappable, and if your server goes
away, in theory at least you should be able to yank
the PCI scuzzy card, pop it in another Linux machine
and be back up in ten minutes. They aren't cheap
though, mine ran around 3K with a full set of four 180
gig drives.

Promise looked good too, and was a lot cheaper, I
almost went with them. One of the main reason I didn't
is I am a ditz and I wanted the red light and a buzzer
 to go off and tell me one of my drives had failed and
I was running degraded, else I would never notice.
Also my file server is getting pretty old and is
likely to go south sometime kinda soon (-:

I would highly recommend some kind of RAID solution
though, even if you are a backup fiend (and face it
most of us aren't) it is still a good idea.

Guy