[mythtv] Multi-stage video storage

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Mon Jun 30 15:09:36 EDT 2003

> the 100GB, but if myth could record to the local drives, then
> spawn another process when its done (and perhaps idle) to move
> the files via nfs to the remote machine.
..
> If I was to dream, this could all be handled by the OS filesystem
> transparently to the application; but I don't know of any
> such features in standard or addon filesystems.

You could hack this up with some scripts and symbolic links.
Something like /tv and /remote-tv, and have Myth record into /tv
and mount /remote-tv over NFS.  Have a script go through the entries
in /tv, and if they're complete (ie not changing size, or haven't been
modified in the past few minutes, or something) then copy them to
/remote-tv, and when the copy is complete, replace the file with a
symlink from /tv/foo -> /remote-tv/foo.  You could also have your
script check for files that exist in /remote-tv with no corresponding
link in /tv (which means that Myth deleted the file) and delete the
files on the remote machine as well.

Just a thought.  Some integration would probably be nicer, though, or
doing this at the OS level would be sweet..

-jim