[mythtv] MythMusic database schema suggestion

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 17:52:43 EDT 2003

I agree... while I suppose the DB schema could be tweaked, it's not the
bottleneck,  nor is the fact that the entire metadata DB is kept in memory.
At least for the playlist editor, I think the initial delay is due to the
fact that the list item widgets for the entire tree (all sub-levels) is
being constructed at once, rather than constructing levels of widgets on
demand.  I don't claim to know what kind of performance you'd get out of
traversal between levels if you built them on demand, but I'd be interested
to do a comparison.  I'd bet you'd get a significant speed-up of the initial
playlist editor display if you even just built the whole tree down to the
album level, then added the track listings on demand.  Unfortunately, I
don't have a development box ATM, or I'd do it.  (might have to break down
and get an iBook, as the long-awaited new 15" G5 PowerBook is still not on
the horizon...)

-JAC