[mythtv] mythmusic and mp3 encoder?

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sat Jun 21 18:03:51 EDT 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 03:19  AM, Tom LeRoux wrote:
> mp3 vs. vorbis quality has been debated many times over, and there is
> no
> clear "winner", and often comes down to preference.
>
> reasons to include MP3 ripping support:
> - the majority of hardware players support only MP3
> - the majority of the world still listens to music on MP3
> - mythmusic is more than happy to play your MP3s, but it won't create
> them?
> symmetry is nice..
> - choice.
>
> I'm not saying MP3 should replace FLAC, and I don't think people want
> (ever) transcode their music after ripping.  I also don't want 20 meg
> songs
> on my drive, so I chooes not to use a lossless format.  FLAC was never
> in
> question.  It can stay as is.

I think it would a good idea to include MP3 encoding support as
well...the only reason MP3 encoding should *not* be supported is
ideological, and I don't think that kind of reasoning really has much
of a place in this project. There is no technical reason to not include
MP3 encoding, and the UI issue really is quite easy in this case.

I'm all for promoting OggV, but doing so by removing the choice to use
MP3 doesn't seem like the right way. Make Ogg the default, stick the
MP3 encoder option in the prefs, sure, but there's really no reason to
not have it at all.

James