[mythtv] mythmusic and mp3 encoder?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jun 20 02:23:13 EDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 08:32 am, Tom LeRoux wrote:
> well.. mythmusic rips CD's to OV, so why not mp3?  I took a quick look at
> the LAME libs and it seems as though it can encode OV too (although I
> haven't tried).. I don't want to get into a coke vs. pepsi war about
> OV/mp3, but choice is usually a good thing.
>
> I'm more than happy to spend some cycles working on this - or am I the only
> one who still uses mp3's around here?

I just don't see what it'll gain.  The vorbis stuff is equivalent (or better)
quality, and the flac encoder means you never have to rip into a different
format again, as it's equivalent to just storing the .wavs...  Easy to
transcode to with no additional qualtiy loss if you need another format for
something else.  Additional encoding options just mean additional
complications for the user, unfortunately.

Isaac