[mythtv] FF/REW key binding confusion

David George david at onyxsoft.com
Thu Jun 19 16:45:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> > This keeps the previous behavior where repeatedly pressing the rew/ff
> > key increases the speed until it wraps and pressing the opposite key
> > switches to the normal speed in the other direction.  Would anyone
> > object to me changing this so pressing the opposite key decreases the
> > speed without changing the direction?
>
> Yes, I would object... I'd find that behavior completely counter-intuitive.
> Neither my VCR nor my DVD player work that way; why should Myth?  If you
> like, add additional keybindings for this behavior, or patch only your local
> tree.

I wouldn't find it counter-intuitive at all.  I think pressing rewind
while fast-forwarding should slow down the fast-forward (until it
wraps).  First, many times while fast-forwarding I do want to slow the
fast-forwarding down.  Second, how hard is it, while fast-forwarding, to
press play then rewind to change directions?  Makes sense to me, but then
again I am a geek.  At least this gives us the option of slowing down the
fast-forward at the expense of having to press play before rewind to
reverse direction.

I think we definitely need the auto-backup when coming out of multiple
fast-forward (like the Tivo).  In case you are wondering, the Tivo has
three fast-forward speeds 3x, 18x, and 60x.  When pressing play from 18x
or 60x, the Tivo automatically rewinds the recording 10 seconds before
starting playback.

It seems as there are people that feel strongly about both options, so in
typical programmer fashion, I'll ask "can we make it configurable?"