[mythtv] Are there any plans for a Radio Module?

Tyler Drake pcjabber at ec.rr.com
Tue Jun 17 14:17:29 EDT 2003

 Message: 22
 Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:11:17 -0400
From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
 Subject: RE: [mythtv] Are there any plans for a Radio Module?
To: Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>

I've been thinking about this lately... the thing is, I think the radio
functionality would have to be done as a frontend/backend setup, the same as
TV is, for multiple reasons:

(1) Only a backend is guaranteed to have a tuner card
(2) The backend should be the sole application manipulating the tuner card.
If you're listening to the radio and a scheduled TV recording comes up, it
should probably behave similar to LiveTV (i.e., popup asking what to do,
default behavior on timeout)

Not really my area of expertise, but that's how I see it.  It's not on my
radar for the near future, but maybe someone else is interested enough to
tackle it.

-JAC

NOTE: because of point (2), be very careful about using external programs
(xmradio, xawtv, Oz) to control your tuner card while mythbackend is
running.  If you change channels (or worse, inputs) outside of Myth, the
backend won't know about it and may record the wrong channel (or a blue
screen) for its next scheduled recording.

--------

I agree totally!

T.D.

P.S. -- Could everyone please use the word MYTHTV in the subject line? My mail client should filter thru this and store it seperate from my inbox, where it may get deleted! Thanks in advance!