[mythtv] Mythtv recording: machine freezes totally - SOLVED

Stefan Schindler cafeschintze at gmx.net
Thu Jun 12 15:28:23 EDT 2003

Good news, everybody!

I finally found out the reason for the strange freezes, that occured,
whenever I would record something with mythv. It was a problem with
the IDE controller, as someone earlier suggested. I deactevated DMA
with hdparm and - apart from the fact, that the picture was jumping
due to slow reading - got no freezes any more. I then tried out
several combinations with and without CDRom attached and so on. To
make it short: whenever the Harddisc is attached to the secondary
controller of my K7S5A I get these freezes when DMA is active. No
matter, if it is set to slave or master, single or with other hardware.
Secondary makes my HD feel bad. Why could I then use mythtv before
without crashes? Simple: I bought a new HD and arranged a few things
at about the same time I did a CVS-update. So I thought, the update
was the problem and never thought about the fact that I switched my HD
over to the sec. controller.

So, what do we learn?
1) Mythtv can't freezy your machine! (sorry Isaac ;-))
2) Don't do more than one upgrade at once! One thing after the other!

Does anybody have a clue how to fix the K7S5A issue? Are there any
controller patches or so?

Bow to all the programmers here, and sorry for making the whole
maillinglist go crazy.

--
Best regards,
 Stefan                            mailto:cafeschintze at gmx.net