JavaScript (was: [mythtv] mythweb screenshot)

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu Jun 12 04:53:28 EDT 2003

Chris Petersen wrote:

>javascript or java?

JavaScript. :-)

>I haven't heard of many javascript exploits in a long time.

heh, then you didn't read news ;-). There is one really bad one (reading
local files, executing arbitary code etc.) published per browser roughly
every 1-3 months, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. You never hear
about maybe 90% of the bugs, because they are kept under the carpet.
Mozilla has several really bad bugs every month, roughly. I don't know
about MSIE, because they don't let me see them :-), but I think it's
worse there.

(Lesson: JS is really dangerous, disable it, if possible, and be sure to
stay current with browser releases and other network apps for that matter.)

>Nothing in mythweb should/will depend on javascript

Great, that's all I asked for ;-). Thanks.

>quite a bit of javascript as value-added stuff (eg. mouse
>over a program in the program list, and get details about it)

That's the best attitude IMHO. As long as it works fine without JS, JS
is only adding useful features which are not possible without JS, I have
no problem with that.

>As for a status update, I've declared the program list to be essentially
>done (still needs some work with the color stuff, but that's easy and
>not required for function), and moved onto the program details section.

Great. I am looking forward to it :-).

Ben