[mythtv] About packaging CVS versions

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jun 6 12:10:33 EDT 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 08:05 am, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am packaging the mythtv, xmltv and further required dependencies in
> rpms format. Some time ago (sorry couldn't find a reference) it was
> discussed whether it was a good thing to package CVS versions. The
> consent back then was not to do so. I think the arguments were that
> users would not be able to identify the CVS checkout date in their bug
> reports.
>
> I have gotten lately many requests for packaging the CVS versions and
> they all have valid reasons to do so (bug fixes, new hardware), so I'd
> like to bring this up again.
>
> Would it be acceptable to package CVS versions denoting the checkout
> date in the version (or rather the release) field? Something like
> mythsomething-0.9-cvs20030614.1?

No binary packages of CVS.  If people want to use CVS, they have to compile it
themself.  It's not like this is something extremely difficult to do.  I am
not going to change my mind on this, so please don't even bother trying.

Cross-posting between the -users and -dev lists is really annoying, by the
way.

Isaac