[mythtv] re: Mythtv recording: machine freezes totally

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jun 5 23:52:43 EDT 2003

> Upgraded to CVS from last night after running version
> from over a week ago.

<snip paragraph about locking up>

> What is going on with recordedmarkup? mythbackend
> seems to be writing to the database every 2 or 3
> seconds making all kinds of new entries in
> recordedmarkup and hogging a lot of CPU between itself
> and running mysql.

It's writing the seektable out to disk.  Should happen every 15
keyframes in mpeg4 format and every 30 GOPs in the mpeg2 code.
That should equate to about once every 15 seconds for each.
I'm running my master backend and mysql database on an
Athlon 700 and I don't see mysqld using more than a couple
percent of cpu every 15 seconds while I'm recording at
352x480 (which uses about 60-80% cpu depending on the show).

Maybe the cpu usage is due to you querying the recordedmarkup
table?  When I run a select to do a group by and count on
the table while I'm recording, mysql shoots "way" up to 5% of
cpu. :)  Still doesn't mess up my recording though and I'm
on a slow cpu.

Chris