Teletext (was: [mythtv] MythTV Recording System Future)

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Fri Jul 25 11:39:46 EDT 2003

fre, 2003-07-25 kl. 08:09 skrev Erik Arendse:
> At 24-7-2003 20:33, Martin Moeller wrote:
> >Okay... Assuming for a moment that teletext code worked as it should,
> >how hard would it be to generate Mplayer subtitle files from a captured
> >stream? I ask mostly because I currently have limited diskspace and
> >recordings cannot linger in MythTV for all eternity.
>
> Never knew Mplayer could play a smaller fileformat than MythTV. I would
> have though that for the same codec the filesizes would be about the same.

Presently I'm having MythTV recordings on one partition and archived
shows on another. When I have too many archived shows, I record them to
CD-ROM. Also, MPlayer should be able to rescale shows if recorded at
high resolution for archiving purposes...

> But I have no idea about subtitles in Mplayer, AFAIK I have never used or
> installed mplayer. But if you can parse the MythTV files and turn audio and
> video into another format, the subtitles could be converted in a similar
> way into any format you know.
Okay, so it *is* stored as text with some timing information and not
some sort of bitmap (alá DVD)?

> Erik

Well, I have checked my TV Guide, and apparently the first program to
have subtitles on will air at around 18:25 today. This is on a danish
channel so I'm pretty interested in seeing the results.

All I have done so far is uncomment the 3 lines Isaac talked about.
I have recorded a couple of BBCP shows in the meantime: No teletext,
though (checked with the TV and the shows that played shortly after
didn't have any either). I haven't seen any problems yet, but maybe I'll
start to when there actually *is* teletext information in the stream.

Next question (to be answered sometime after 18:25 local time) is
whether my saa7134 chip gets the information without changing data in
the vbi files...

[a bit later]
It doesn't seem likely, I'm afraid. Unpatched AleVT with my current
module doesn't show anything. When mythbackend is running with scans on
the vbi device AleVT also cannot grab anything. Shutting down
mythbackend allows the patched AleVT to run, though.

I better make a renewed effort to compile the latest release of the
driver, but it seems to require updates to the v4l2 system as well..